Tips To Get Started With Manga
Are you wondering how to start sharing your stories with the world?
This video will quickly clear up all your questions and get you excited to start your own manga!
The artist takes you on her personal journey and shows you how to publish a manga of your own. Throughout the video she creates a single manga page from start to finish, clearing up some of your more complicated how questions.
I think this could pair really well with some of our recommended manga booksespecially for beginners.
How To Draw Anime: 50+ Free Step
If you love anime & manga then of course youd wanna draw it.
Narutos storyline was terrific One Piece has incredible fight scenes and Studio Ghibli tugs at your heartstrings harder than Hollywoods The Notebook.
Dont get confused by the terminology though.
Simply put, manga is the comic book and anime is the actual animated content. For artists looking to learn the style there is no major difference.
Manga characters have very unique features unlike any other cartoon.
The eyes and head are enlarged, the facial features are simplified, and the backgrounds are often highly detailed. If youve watched enough anime or read enough manga the style should be ingrained into your memory.
In the past we covered a series of tutorials on chibi drawing but this comprehensive list of videos will teach you how to draw in the manga art style from beginning to endeven if you have zero drawing experience.
To get the most out of each video I suggest watching it through once and then going back to the start and drawing along.
When it comes to drawing practice really does make perfect. So bookmark this page because you are going to need it later! It takes anywhere from a few days to a few years to master the anime art style so just keep practicing and never give up!
Place And Draw The Eyes & Eyebrows
For a cuter look place the eyes even lower down than normal. Also make sure that you draw the eyes big and tall.
In this case we will actually place the eyes by first placing the eyebrows. To do this draw a horizontal line exactly through the middle of the head and draw the bottom of the eyebrows touching this line. Keep in mind that the eyes can move depending on the characters facial expression. This placement is for eyebrows in their natural position.
You can draw a hint of the eyelids directly on this line and the eyebrows slightly below that.
For more on drawing anime eyes see:
Recommended Reading: How To Draw Anime Feet With Shoes
Emotion In An Anime Cartoon
There are certain conventions for showing emotions in anime, and certain set facial expressions for a manga face. For example, fear is generally depicted by contractingthe pupil, joyful expressions include closed eyes with the eyelids arched upwards and fists pressed just under the chin. Watch your favourite anime and manga to learn the conventions for specific expressions.
Interesting Facts About Eyes
- The human eye can discern 500 shades of gray from one another.
- 36,000 pieces of information can be interpreted in an hour by the human eye.
- The human eyeball has a diameter of one inch and weighs about 28 grams.
- The human eye can function at 100% ability at any time, even without rest.
- The lifespan of our eyelashes is about three months. On average, daily, 1 to 5 eyelashes fall out. A new lash takes 4 to 8 weeks to appear in the place of the dropped eyelash and to grow to its maximum length.
- About 8% of the worlds population has blue eyes.
- It is possible to blink your eyes five times in a single second and approximately 4,200,000 times in a single year.
- The human eye would have 576 megapixels if it were a digital camera.
- The most common eye color in the world is brown.
- It is said that the first blue-eyed human lived 6,000-10,000 years ago.
- Nose and ears keep growing throughout our lives but human eyes remain the same size from birth.
- In your eyes are the only cells that survive from the moment you are born till death.
- Only three colors are visible to the human eye: red, blue, and green. All other colors are a combination of these colors.
- To protect the retina, our eyes are positioned in a hollow eye socket.
Don’t Miss: Buzzfeed Anime Quizzes
How To Draw Characters With Different Facial Expressions
When thinking about cartoon characters to draw, emotions and facial expressions should come to mind. We’re now ready to add more emotions to our dear Lucy . Let’s draw her after receiving the news that the school holidays have come to an end…
Again, we achieve something totally different just by adding two things: the tears and the new shape of her mouth! Isn’t it amazing?!
Now let’s get back to Tommy and ask him what he thinks about it:
Notice that I’ve totally changed his expression just by following the steps below:
- Making one eyebrow lower than the other
- Cutting the eyes in half with the eyelashes
- Adding a smile
- Moving up the eye pupils to stay under the eyelashes
And that’s it! We got the expected result with just these few changes. The hair, ears, nose, chin, and the circular shape of the eyes are the same! Simple as that!
Drawing An Anime Head And Face
Also Check: How To Draw Anime Weapons
How To Draw A Female Character
Let’s try some more easy cartoon drawings. I don’t know… I think Tommy needs a sister! He’s been very lonely out there. Let’s create a sister for him now, as if by magic:
Hey!!! How did you do that so fast? Very simple… Women tend to have more delicate facial structures. Here’s a female cartoon face drawing step-by-step guide:
- Thin eyebrows
- Small nose with fewer details
- Long hair
That’s it. These are all the changes you need to make. Besides that, I took everything I could from Tommy, her brother. After all, they are siblings, right?
When you start to feel more comfortable, you can slowly create some more “realistic” details for your characters. Such as larger pupils…
The Ultimate Guide On How To Draw Anime
You dont have to be an anime fan to learn how to draw anime. But if you are, youll find this tutorial thrilling since it will be your first step towards being able to create some fan art one day.
Were not promising that youll be a pro by the time you finish going through this guide. However, we think that you should be able to draw something decent enough to make you want to pat yourself on the back.
The guide will provide you with an overview of what youll need to do when drawing anime. It will also have links to detailed tutorials that break down the steps even further.
You May Like: How To Draw Anime Faces Step By Step Easy
Comics In Clip Studio Paint
This video is a must-watch if you want to make your own manga or anime comic.
Its an in-depth, information-packed webinar thats almost an hour long. Dont let the length scare you away though. After watching the video youll know exactly how to use Manga Studio to create your own manga pages from scratch.
The artist takes you through the full process of creating a comic book page from start to finish.
Corel Painter Anime Tutorial Part 1
Drawing is complicated but its only the first step in learning.
The other is understanding how to translate ideas, fill in color, and work with software if youre going digital.
In this video youll learn to create a full-color anime scene in Corel Painter. Over a time-lapse the artist talks you through his process, revealing how he paints backgrounds and introduces shading into his artwork.
Although the final image is complicated, this tutorial is packed well and spread out over two parts. By the end you should have a basic idea of how to use color when painting anime-style art.
Also Check: Anime Studio Debut 6
How To Draw Manga Backgrounds
Backgrounds can be simple or crazy complicated, but all of them require some knowledge of perspective.
In this walkthrough the manga artist shows you what to consider and introduces you to the art of backgrounds.
While sharing his knowledge he inks the background of an interior scene explaining the complex perspective calculations and adding final detailed touches.
How To Draw Anime Hands
can be quite challenging, but were going to try to simplify the process.
Start with a rough shape of the palm and base of the thumb. Then, draw the outer shapes of the fingers and the thumb. The thumb should be 45 degrees from the hand and slightly below the middle fingers knuckle bone. Afterward, clean up the drawing and add lines among other details.
Also Check: How To Make Anime Eyes
How To Install Wedraw
- The first thing is, it is important to free download either Andy android emulator or BlueStacks on your PC by using the download button presented at the beginning on this site.
- When the download process is finished open up the installer to start the install process.
- Carry on with the easy installation steps by clicking on “Next” for a couple of times.
- Once you see “Install” on screen, click on it to start the final installation process and click on “Finish” after it’s finished.
- With the windows start menu or alternatively desktop shortcut begin BlueStacks Android emulator.
- Since this is your first time working with BlueStacks app it’s essential to setup your Google account with the emulator.
- Good job! Now you may install WeDraw – How to Draw Anime & Cartoon for PC using BlueStacks App Player either by searching for WeDraw – How to Draw Anime & Cartoon application in google playstore page or by utilizing apk file.It is time to install WeDraw – How to Draw Anime & Cartoon for PC by going to the Google play store page once you have successfully installed BlueStacks Android emulator on your computer.
Lets Paint: Anime Evening Scene
This video is a silent time-lapse where the artist reveals their brushes, color techniques, and general blocking out strategies to paint a background.
Anime backgrounds are very technical so this can be a huge benefit to anyone just getting into this style.
Learn how to integrate clouds into a dusk-type setting and discover a quick yet effective way to paint the silhouette of trees.
Read Also: Does Netflix Have Subbed Anime
Common Features In Manga Drawing
- Manga drawing techniques adopt their own visual shortcuts, including:
- A giant bead of sweat on a characters head theyre exasperated or frustrated.
- A snot bubble coming out of someones nose theyre asleep.
- Motion lines behind a character this can mean theyre moving, indicate a character is making a dramatic statement or show a character is determined, maybe to a ridiculous extent.
- The character dies, temporarily, and turn into a ghost a characters embarrassed.
Many of these symbols began as literal representations before moving into abstraction. The anger symbol began as a representation of a bulging vein, says Crilley. Its turned into an icon of three or four curved lines. To the uninitiated, it might look like some kind of sparkle or star shape.
5. Study popular manga.
This visual language also includes playing with different visual styles in the same comic. An aggressive character might be drawn in a more realistic or detailed style to stress that anger, whereas a character whos the butt of a joke could look more cartoony.To become more familiar with these visual shortcuts, study a few broadly popular manga comics, such as Naruto, Case Closed, or Oh My Goddess! Or peruse the anthology magazine Shonen Jump to see varying art styles approaches to these shortcuts in each volume.
6. Cultivate your own manga style.
Learn How To Use Color
To be able to use color effectively you should learn at least some of the basics of the color theory such as warm and cool and complimentary colors. You can always look at a color wheel if you need some help remembering which colors are which. The colors across from each other on the color wheel are the complimentary colors. An example of a warm color would be yellow. An example of a cool color would be blue.
Using the right combination of colors you can create a more interesting and attractive looking anime character.
For more on color anime see:
Also Check: Where To Watch Loveless Anime
How To Draw A Girl Anime
There are subtle differences between male and female anime characters.
If you choose to , you should give your character an hourglass shape when drawing the body. You should make the face rounder, and the jaw shouldnt be too long. Remember to draw a narrow neck and give your character a female build.
Creating The Body & Hands
Okay now that we have the Head & Face ready lets begin to create the Body, go to the Bezier Tool to create a custom shape on the bottom of the head.
Using Shape Tool shape it until it looks like a girls body.
Create a neck for the body and put a skin color in it.
Arrange the body into the bottom layer by pressing Ctrl + PageDown .
After that we are going to create a shirt for the Anime, go to the Bezier tool and create a shape similar like below, the trick is to follow the contour of the Body.
Copy the custom shape at put light gray color to create a shadow for the shirt.
Create another custom shape to the right side of the body.
Don’t Miss: How To Draw Easy Cute Anime Girl
How To Draw Big Cute Anime Eyes
See our collection of How-To-Draw tutorial instructions for young kids! Check out our collection of free coloring pages for kids while youre here too. Were a group of independent illustrators that create coloring pages, how to draw tutorials, craft printables, and educational worksheets for kids. We update our resource library regularly so feel free to check back as we add more and more content. Were currently at over 1000+ coloring pages and 500+ how-to-draw stuff guides for kids!
Printing & Saving Instructions:
- Desktop & laptop users: the instant print button is in the upper left-hand corner.
- Mobile users: if you dont see the instant print icon on mobile for whatever reason, toggle your mobile browser to Desktop View and you should be able to see it. You can find that in your web browsers menu. Or find the nearest computer to print.
- Change the page orientation from horizontal or vertical depending on what fits best.
- To decrease load time we put images on different sub-pages. Use the navigation on the top and bottom of the galleries to toggle.
- Designed to fit both A4 size & U.S. standard letter size but preview your specs just in case.
- Want to save a file for later? Just hit the instant print button and choose instead to print, select Save As PDF in the drop-down selection, and done!
Draw The Face And Neck
Working on an anime boy drawing is very similar to creating a girl character. Your first steps should be to draw the outline for the face and neck before you can add the fun facial features.
Lightly sketch a freehand circle with a vertical guideline going straight down the middle. Youll want this to extend past the bottom of the circle as far as youd like the chin to be. Then draw a slightly curved line down each side of the circle, sloping in more toward the bottom of the vertical line. Where these meet will be the bottom of the face.
Underneath the face, draw two vertical lines for the neck and a line off each side for the top of the shoulders.
Using guidelines helps to position all of your characters features correctly.
Also Check: How Many Seasons Of Danganronpa Anime Are There
One Character Six Manga Styles
Have you been planning to create your own manga but just feel discouraged?
Youll need to pick a style to work in, organize a story, and master the art style. It takes a while but this video can help.
A good way to solidify your style is to draw your character in multiple other manga styles. Follow along with this tutorial and try to adapt your character to all six different styles.